News

Looking at the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning while boating

Cleveland, OH — The 4th of July weekend draws boaters to the water in droves, all hoping to enjoy themselves and take in the fresh air. However, sometimes that air can be a problem. “Unfortunately, because you are out in the open, people are lulled into a false sense...

1 injured in natural gas explosion at home on Eighth Street in Rockford

Rockford, IL  — A two-family house on the city’s far south side was destroyed during a natural gas explosion Saturday. The cause of the blast hasn’t been determined, according to Rockford Fire Department Investigator John McGee. “We just had a gas leak in the basement...

Best carbon monoxide detectors

Carbon monoxide detectors Chicago, IL - Many homeowners easily see the value of installing a burglar alarm or a smoke detector. A burglar could steal thousands of dollars in personal property, and a fire could destroy the entire structure. However, there is another...

6 suffer injuries in boat explosion at Lake of the Ozarks

Sunrise Beach, MO — Five people from Nebraska were seriously injured when a boat exploded Tuesday at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. The Missouri State Highway Patrol said the explosion happened near Sunrise Beach. The boat was docked when a mechanical failure...

‘Dangerous’ Carbon Monoxide Leak At JFK Hotel Hurts 1: FDNY

New York, NY — One EMS member was hurt while evacuating a hotel by John F. Kennedy International Airport amid a carbon monoxide leak, according to the FDNY. At around 9:53 a.m. fire officials said that everyone in the 9-story Crown Plaza Hotel, located at 138-10 135th...

Neighbors remember couple killed in Berne house explosion

Berne, NY  — A couple who were well-known and beloved in this rural community were killed following a massive explosion that leveled their home Friday night. Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple confirmed late Saturday morning that Victor and Lois Porlier, ages 83 and...

CO alarm saves 5 lives at Newark apartment

Newark, NJ - A carbon monoxide alarm likely saved the lives of 3 adults and 2 children in Newark. New Castle County Paramedics and rescue personnel from 3 area fire companies found 2 women, ages 56 and 29, a 42-year-old man, a 7-year-old boy and 2-year-old girl...

Explosion in Jefferson County sends two people to the hospital

Theresa, NY — New York State Police and the Theresa Fire Department in Jefferson County were called to an explosion at 41723 Shelley Road Friday night. Officials say that two people were injured after the explosion. They say initial cause for both the explosion and...

2 seriously hurt in home explosion near South Haven

South Haven Township, MI — Two people were seriously injured after a house exploded in South Haven Township Tuesday evening, officials said. It happened just before 6 p.m. on 2nd Avenue near 71 1/2 Street. Firefighters told News 8 a propane tank caused the home to...