Lawrence, MA  — Eleven people were taken to the hospital after they were exposed to “unsafe and unhealthy” levels of carbon monoxide in a building in Lawrence on Thursday morning, fire officials said.

Firefighters responding to a report of people feeling ill in the area of Lowell Street between Morton and Oxford streets around 9:30 a.m. found high levels of carbon monoxide on three floors of a building next to Pollo Cibao restaurant, according to Lawrence Fire Department Deputy Matthew Nadeau.

Nadeau noted that crews encountered “multiple incidents” upon arrival, including a malfunctioning furnace on the second floor and a problematic stove on the first floor.

Carbon monoxide readings on the third floor found levels that reached 200 parts-per-million, according to Nadeau. Nine parts-per-million is said to be the maximum level for indoor safety.

Gas, electrical, and building inspectors have been notified of the incident and are investigating.

No additional information was available.