Barkhamsted, CT — A gas-powered generator caused a carbon monoxide (CO) incident at a Pleasant Valley home overnight.

Pleasant Valley Fire Department said that the residents had a working CO detector that alerted them and when they arrived on the scene and started to meter the home, a moderate level of CO was found inside.

Fire officials said the cause was a gas-powered generator operating too close to the home with the exhaust pointed toward the garage.

They urge the public that when a generator is running, to make sure it’s far enough away from the house and the exhaust is pointed away from any opening. Also always have a working CO detector.  If it activates- call 911.

Fire officials said the detector in the home worked and saved the people in the home’s lives.

Common symptoms of CO poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue
  • Confusion
  • Blurry or double vision
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea and vomiting