Ghent, NY — Firefighters said a malfunctioning furnace pushed carbon monoxide into several apartments on Christmas night, forcing seven people onto the street in Ghent. After the incident was phoned in, around 9:40 p.m., dispatchers sent the West Ghent and Ghent fire companies and the Greenport Rescue Squad to the intersection of Route 66 and George Road.

The meters found carbon monoxide in the building, authorities said. The source of the haze was a malfunctioning furnace, which fire crews shut down and ventilated so the residents could reoccupy their apartments.