Strasburg, OH – Matt and Melanie Neidenthal have reasons to be thankful.

The fact that the family is safe is at the top of the list.

The Neidenthal family was expecting to celebrate Matt’s 53rd birthday on April 1. Instead, most of the family was taken by ambulance to Cleveland Clinic Union Hospital after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered in their home.

During the construction of their house, a radiant heated floor (geo-thermal) was installed in their basement and garage area. A boiler was leaking and creating the carbon monoxide.

About 4:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, Melanie woke up to use the bathroom. She did not feel right and passed out, which caused her to fall and hit her head. Matt heard the fall and, thinking it was a medical problem, called 911. Family members awoke to the sounds of Matt calling them. They complained of headaches.

Strasburg emergency medical technicians, firefighters assisted by Wayne Township (Dundee) Volunteer Fire Department and Smith Ambulance, responded to the scene. The Dundee fire department brought fans to air out the house once the utilities were disconnected and the windows were opened.

Strasburg’s EMT ran a test for carbon monoxide poisoning, as suggested by a family member. The test showed it was over 1,000 parts per minute. The family was told to immediately leave the house.

Strasburg Fire Chief Andy Slemmer said that a rating of over five parts per minute will make an individual feel dizzy. At nine parts per minute you can experience headaches and redness of the skin, and 911 should be called.

Melanie was reluctant to go to the hospital because of the COVID-19 virus outbreak, but f our of the six family members were transported to the hospital. The safe level of carbon monoxide can be 0.5 or 5.0 in a person’s blood stream. The family had levels from 10 and 16.

“The hospital staff is well-prepared and the rooms are separated for those who may have the virus or were being tested and those who are emergency patients. We were at the hospital until about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday,” Melanie said.

Thankfully, they have returned home and repairs to the boiler have been made.

Matt said the family has no memory loss or any after effects from the carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We thought we had dual alarms installed — a combination of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. That was not the case our detectors were only for smoke. Families need to make sure the correct detectors are installed,” Melanie said.

She also praised the fire departments and EMT’s for their quick response.

Fire Chief Andy Slemmer said carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased at most hardware or retail stores. He said there is no odor with carbon monoxide.

“Do not hesitate to call 911 if you feel there is a problem and leave the house immediately until help arrives. Every home should have a smoke and carbon monoxide detector installed,” he said.