One person was killed and another sickened after a carbon monoxide incident Sunday (Jan. 9, 2022) in Elgin.

According to an Elgin Fire Department news release, firefighters reported just after 9 a.m. Sunday to the 200 block of South Channing Street for a report of two occupants with flu symptoms.

Responding fire department companies found two occupants on the second floor of the residence.

One person was deceased, and the other was found to have elevated CO levels in their bloodstream.

The first Fire Department crew arrived on scene in three and a half minutes. Fire crews transported one person to Provena Saint Joseph Hospital, Elgin.

The home was ventilated to clear carbon monoxide levels of more than 500 parts per million while personnel searched the remaining home for other occupants. Four uninjured dogs were found and turned over to family members who had responded to the scene.

The home was red-tagged as it is uninhabitable, pending repairs to the heating unit.

Natural gas to the structure was shut off, and Code Enforcement was notified for follow-up. There were no firefighter injuries at the incident.

“Make sure you have properly installed and maintained carbon monoxide detectors in your home and/or business,” Elgin Fire Chief Robb Cagann said. “CO detectors are the first line of defense during a carbon monoxide incident. Test CO detectors each month and make a habit of changing the batteries twice a year, like when you change your clocks.”