Acton, MA — Two Acton residents have their carbon monoxide detectors to thank after their home started to fill with the dangerous gas, and they made it out just in time. The Acton Fire Department responded to the call about on Wednesday morning to the home on Arlington Street.

Fire personnel discovered a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the home and began to thoroughly ventilate it for about an hour before the residents were allowed to safely re-enter.

The residents received medical treatment at the scene.

The cause of the high carbon monoxide levels was determined to be a gas hot water heater in the basement of the home, according to fire officials.

Fire officials are urging residents to keep these tips in mind to prevent carbon monoxide leaks and stay safe:

  • If your carbon monoxide detector is sounding, call 911 immediately.
  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent; fatal levels of carbon monoxide can be produced in just minutes.
  • Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year, and make sure your fireplace damper is open before lighting a fire and well after the fire is extinguished.
  • Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly.
  • Never use your oven for heating your home.
  • Never let a car idle in the garage.