Ionia County, MI  — Two people were taken to the hospital after being found unresponsive Thursday as a result of a furnace gas leak, according to the Ionia County Sheriff’s Office.

At 1 p.m. Nov. 12, Ionia County Sheriff’s deputies, the Saranac Community Fire Department and Life EMS Ambulance (supported by Portland Ambulance) were dispatched to the 4000 block of Jackson Road in Boston Township for a report of two people found unresponsive in the home by a person who had stopped to check on them, police said.

First responders extricated an 81-year-old woman and 59-year-old man from the residence who had fallen unconscious and stopped breathing. Initial investigation determined there was a carbon monoxide and exhaust gas leak from the home’s furnace.

Both people were taken to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in critical but stable condition, according to the sheriff’s office.

There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home at the time of the incident.

“Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible, and is generated by stoves, furnaces, or even your refrigerator,” a sheriff’s office statement read.

“This incident is a reminder for our citizens to have working carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and that it is important as we come into the winter season to have your furnace properly serviced and/or inspected periodically for safe functionality.”