Battle Creek, MI – A man, 20, and woman,19, were found dead Wednesday in a Battle Creek home from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

But Battle Creek police said the couple’s 5-month-old son was alive when Battle Creek firefighters and LifeCare paramedics arrived shortly after 8 a.m.

“He was responsive and breathing on his own and alive which is amazing given the amount of carbon monoxide levels in that house,” Detective Sgt. Todd Elliott of the Battle Creek Police Department said.

“it is amazing that this baby survived,” he said. “The only explanation is that it’s by God’s grace that this child survived.”

Battle Creek police were called at 8:14 a.m. to the home at 2290 Capital Ave. S.W. after a contractor working on the house found the couple inside and not breathing, Elliott said.

“A friend of the owner had been working on the house and found the male and female inside and they were cold to the touch,” Elliott said. “Medical personnel arrived and they were deceased.”

He said the couple were on an air mattress in a first floor family room on the west side of the two-story home. The baby also was found on the mattress and taken by LifeCare Ambulance to a Kalamazoo hospital.

Elliott said Wednesday afternoon the child was being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.