Tyngsboro, MA — Two people are believed to have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning at a Mascuppic Trail home.

According to Police Chief Richard Howe, the victims are both women, a 91-year-old resident of the 61 Mascuppic Trail home and an unrelated 38-year-old live-in caregiver.

He said the deaths were reported about 10:45 a.m. Saturday after a family member arrived at the home to check on the residents and discovered the women unresponsive.

“We suspect carbon monoxide poisoning based on the initial findings of the Fire Department,” Howe said. “This is an ongoing investigation. State Police and the Medical Examiner’s office will be part of the investigation.”

Shortly after public safety officials arrived at the scene, specialized devices worn by firefighters indicated there were dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the building, which was then ventilated by the firefighters.

Howe noted continuing elevated carbon monoxide levels as of 1:15 p.m. had prevented officials from reaching and properly identifying the caregiver. Howe said he could not release any further details about the victims pending notification of kin.

What caused the high levels of carbon monoxide in the home remains unclear. National Grid was on the scene to assist.

A neighbor across the street who declined to provide her name said she didn’t know the family very well but was aware the 91-year-old woman’s husband had passed away just before Father’s Day.

“I’m so sorry about this,” the neighbor said. “I feel so bad for the family.”

Another neighbor next door to the victims’ home said the residents were “very lovely people” and declined to comment further.