Marrero, LA — A family has died in Jefferson Parish and officials are saying the cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning.

Jefferson Parish President Cynthia Lee Sheng made the announcement Thursday evening at the beginning of her daily briefing on Hurricane Ida.

One person died from carbon monoxide poisoning in New Orleans.

The coroner of Jefferson Parish said the family was from Marrero and responded to the scene.

“Every death is heartbreaking. This one was especially so,” said Gerald Cvitanovich, the parish’s coroner. “There was a woman, 54 years old, and her two children, ages 23 and 17, girl and a boy.”

Councilman Byron Lee identified the woman as Demetrice Johnson when he spoke at the news conference. Lee said Johnson was a close friend of his and that he grew up from her two streets over.

“She was a wonderful person,” Lee said. “She was someone whom you would never forget because she had such a giving spirit.”

Cvitanovich identified Johnson’s two children as Dasjonay Curly, 23, and Craig Curly Jr., 17.

Cvitanovich said the family’s generator was brand new and that the box was still inside the house.

Sheng said there were other calls for carbon monoxide poisoning that crews had to respond to as well. The fire chief said the department has responded to over 70 calls.

On Wednesday, Jefferson Parish Fire Department has reported they are responding to 4-5 carbon monoxide poisoning calls hourly.