Avondale, OH – A cook stove was determined to be the cause of a gas leak that sent 10 people to the hospital Sunday night from Avondale Youth Center.
Director Gary King said just before 8 p.m., the carbon monoxide detectors alerted staff to a problem inside the residential facility.
“The youth center was evacuated,” King said. “One adult and nine children were taken to the hospital and examined. They all checked out OK.”
King said the building was cleared and everyone was returned to the facility before midnight.
“They are back in school today,” King said.
According to King there seems to be a gas leak around the stove that set off the carbon monoxide detectors.
“Crews are here now working on it, and the stove is out of use until the problem is solved,” King said Monday afternoon.
The Avondale Youth Center is a co-ed, residential therapeutic center with a 22 bed capacity, operated by the Muskingum County Children Services Board and licensed by Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Established in 1911, the facility provides a comprehensive therapeutic intervention program to youth who have been abused, neglected or abandoned.