Savannah, GA – A mother and two children with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms were transported for medical treatment this morning after one of the children became ill and alerted the family. Savannah Fire Rescue’s monitoring devices showed unsafe levels of carbon monoxide gas in the home.

Savannah Fire Rescue was dispatched to 3208 Bulloch Street at 4:50 a.m., Friday, January 11. Battalion Chief Elzie Kitchen arrived on scene within three minutes at 4:53 a.m. The residents, who complained of vomiting, headaches and dizziness, were transported to Memorial Medical Center for treatment. Firefighter crews in protective gear entered the home, made sure no one remained inside and used monitoring devices to generate readings of gas levels in the air. The readings showed unsafe carbon monoxide levels. The home had a gas heating system. Gas to the home was cut.

Homes with gas heat and appliances should have carbon monoxide detectors. Excessive levels of carbon monoxide in the bloodstream can be deadly. Plug-in carbon monoxide detectors are recommended. They should be installed low on the wall because carbon monoxide is a heavy, colorless, odorless gas that builds from the floor up.