Bluffton, IN – Police rescued two unconscious children from a Bluffton home after a carbon monoxide leak last week, according to authorities.

Just after midnight Thursday morning, deputies went into a home on Smith Lane after a 911 call and discovered a strong odor of gas and three unconscious people in the home, two of them children, according to a report from the Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office.

Two deputies went in to get the two children, who were “breathing but unconscious upon our arrival,” the report said.

Then, two engines with the Bluffton Township Fire District arrived, and two firefighters went in the home to get the third occupant, according to Capt. Lee Levesque.

The three occupants, as well as a fourth person who had made it out before law enforcement arrived, were taken to Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, the report said.

Firefighters identified the gas as carbon monoxide, which is odorless and colorless and deadly to humans in high amounts. They used powerful fans to ventilate the home, said Levesque.