Glenmont, NY – An autopsy will be performed on the body of an elderly man who police discovered Saturday afternoon in a Glenmont home with high amounts of carbon monoxide.

Police Commander Adam Hornick said shortly before 2 p.m., police officers responded to a residence on Wheeler Road for a welfare check on a man who friends were unable to get in contact with.

Police had to force their way into the dwelling where the found the man dead.

The cops requested the assistance of the Selkirk and Elsmere fire departments who determined that the place had high levels of carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by burning material that contains carbon. It can cause sudden illness and death.

Police do not suspect foul play and as part of the probe will look into if carbon monoxide contributed to the man’s death.

Police did not release the man’s identity Saturday evening because they were still working to contact relatives.