Cameron, TX — A 55-year-old woman has died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Milam County Sunday after using her stove for heat.

According to Cameron PD Lt. Maskunas, police were dispatched around 9AM Sunday to 12th Street.

The woman was using her stove for heat and the room did not have ventilation, Lt. Maskunas said.

Carbon monoxide is produced by burning gasoline, propane, wood, charcoal or other fuel. If it builds up in a confined space and people breathe it in, it can replace the oxygen in their blood, causing carbon monoxide poisoning and death.

The woman’s son was at the house at the time of her death but is okay, Cameron Police said

According to Lt. Maskunas, the fire department checked for carbon monoxide levels when they arrived which were elevated.