Fayetteville, NC –  A person was rescued from a carbon monoxide-filled Fayetteville home Saturday after a vehicle was left running in an enclosed garage.

Firefighters were called to the 5500 block of Glenrock Drive by a neighbor who heard a carbon monoxide detector chirping about 7:45 p.m., according to a news release from the Fayetteville Fire Department.

When a fire crew arrived they encountered elevated levels of the odorless, highly poisonous gas when they opened the door, the release said.  An individual inside the home was removed and treated by EMS before being taken to the hospital.

The fire department’s Hazardous Materials Team also responded and immediately encountered elevated levels of carbon monoxide due to a locked vehicle discovered running in the attached garage.

“The temperature of the garage was elevated to the point that crews noticed the outside surface temperature of the garage door itself was hot to the touch and certainly out of normal ranges prior to the garage even being opened,” the release said.

Fire officials credited the family, neighbor and a working carbon monoxide detector with saving the tenant’s life.

“The occupant’s family members who had spoken to them by phone and heard the chirping in the background initially, along with the neighbor who went over to investigate and eventually call the fire department for assistance, should be applauded for their efforts,” the release said.