Monroe City, MO – One man is dead, a woman is in the hospital, and a child was treated and released after experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning at a Monroe City residence on Saturday, the sheriff says.

Monroe County Sheriff J. David Hoffman reported on Monday that Peter Klassen, 69, of Monore City was pronounced dead at his home on Monroe Road after the sheriff’s office was called about a possible carbon monoxide poisoning at 10:38 p.m. Saturday.

Hoffman stated another resident, Branda Buckman, 63 was transported by helicopter to a Columbia, Missouri, hospital and then transferred to Kansas City. Buckman is still being treated.

A child was also in the residence and was flown to a nearby hospital, treated and released.

Hoffman reported that high carbon monoxide readings were present in the home and the Monroe County Coroner requested the Missouri State Fire Marshalls Office investigate.