Waucoma, IA — One man died last Thursday and multiple others, including first responders, received treatment after they were apparently exposed to carbon monoxide at a Fayette County house.

The Fayette County Sheriff’s Office and other emergency crews responded to 205 1st Ave NE in Waucoma on March 3 after 7 p.m. One man was pronounced dead at the scene, and two others in the house received medical treatment.

Four first responders on scene also began to feel light-headed and were transported to local hospitals for carbon monoxide exposure.

It was determined that four people had been staying in the home and that a generator in the basement was running without proper ventilation.