Rochester, MO – Rochester police and fire crews were sent to a home on the 1000 block of 11 St. SE just before 9 a.m. Thursday for a call of an unconscious man.

When police got there, the Rochester Fire Department was already on scene performing first aid to the man. While they were there, the firefighters’ carbon monoxide alarms started to go off.

Everyone was evacuated from the home. It turns out there was CO in the home, and Minnesota Energy was called.

The man who was unconscious died and his brother was sent to the hospital for CO poisoning. They were the only two in the home at the time.

Rochester Police Lieutenant Mike Sadauskis identified the man who died as 61-year-old Rodney Hanson of Rochester.

The day before, Hanson’s brother picked him up from the hospital after Hanson had a procedure and they went back to his brother’s house.

Hanson’s brother started to not feel well that night and wasn’t able to bring Hanson home, which is why Hanson stayed at his brother’s house that night.

Lt. Sadauskis said the appliances in the home were all original to the home and one of those could have been the cause.