New York, NY – An explosion forced a dozen people out of their homes in Paterson on Monday night.
The explosion happened on 11th Avenue. One of the displaced residents says she was sitting on her porch when she heard the explosion out of a second-floor bathroom.
Paterson Fire Chief Brian McDermott says the explosion may have been gas-related. He says there was a small fire that a neighbor put out with a garden hose.
“What we’re looking at is probable migration of natural gas, and we’re looking at a potential ignition source in the bathroom, which is very unusual,” McDermott says. “Thank God she was the only person who was on the front porch.”
No injuries were reported.
McDermott says that this is why it is important for anyone who may smell natural gas to report it to the proper authorities.