Garner, NC – Four children were hospitalized Monday after exposure to carbon monoxide inside of a Garner rental home.

Fire rescue crews were alerted of the carbon monoxide threat by staff at WakeMed hospital after the children sought medical attention unaided.

The home, located on 1314 W. Garner Road, was involved in a 1996 fire that killed three children.

Garner Deputy Fire Chief Tim Herman said that when fire rescue crews arrived at the home, they found the gas coming from a portable generator outside of the home.

There is no word on the current condition of the children.