Wichita, KS – The Wichita Fire Department responded to a home in the 2900 block of North Meridian just after 8 p.m. Tuesday for a carbon monoxide poisoning.

Nine people were transported by EMS to Wesley Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

“Received a report for a CO alarm that was going off, and upon arrival, several patients that were having symptoms, and the gas company came out,” said Capt. Chris Fleming, Wichita Fire Department.

Firefighters worked with the gas company to turn off all utilities.

Chief Stuart Bevis said Wednesday that a car was left running in the garage for a short time. The exhaust fumes were able to travel to a vent that was connected to the basement of the home. Bevis said the carbon monoxide readings inside the home were elevated but not at a critical level.

All nine people were treated and released.