Marshall, MI – An explosion possibly leaked to natural gas destroyed a house in southern Michigan on Monday and injured eight people, authorities said.

All were taken to hospitals, though three were released. The explosion and fire occurred overnight in Marshall, 15 miles east of Battle Creek. There were at least two children in the house.

“I’ve got to be honest: It was miraculous that all of them were able to get out,” Fire Chief Martin Esrkine said.

The preliminary cause appeared to be a gas leak, he said. The house was being renovated.

A neighbor, Patti Bischoff, said loud noises caused her to believe that something had crashed through her window.

“It was like looking into a dollhouse,” Bischoff said. “It was opened right up. … It was like an inferno. Like a tinder box.”