Garden Grove, CA – An explosion in a mobile home in Garden Grove sparked a fire and left a man critically injured on Tuesday, April 30.

The incident was reported near the 13000 block of Fairview Street at 6:20 p.m., said Garden Grove Fire Department Capt. Thanh Nguyen. Firefighters found a man in his 50s suffering from life-threatening burns who was transported by paramedics to a nearby hospital.

A total of 27 firefighters managed to extinguish the burning structure in about 30 minutes, but were “hampered by leaking natural gas that reignited the fire each time they made progress,” said Nguyen in a statement. Fire gutted the interior of the mobile home and singed a neighboring structure. No other buildings were affected, and no one else was injured.

Nguyen said the incident did not appear suspicious, and firefighters believe the incident may have been an accident. He added that investigators were “unable to rule out (a) gas leak from an appliance,” in his statement.