Jeannette, PA  – A man was found dead in Jeannette from what his family suspects is carbon monoxide poisoning.

The call for help came in around 2 p.m. Thursday at a home on Wiley Avenue. The victim was found unresponsive next to a portable generator in his basement.

Yellow police tape cordoned off the home as police and the coroner’s office processed the scene.

A family member said it appeared the 39-year-old man was trying to vent exhaust from a portable generator in his basement when he died. The man’s stepfather said he couldn’t even walk a few feet into the home before feeling the effects of the fumes.

The cause and manner of death haven’t been determined, but it appears to be a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.