Plano, TX — Six people, including three children, were hospitalized and a Plano home was completely leveled Monday after a likely gas leak caused an explosion, damaging several nearby homes as well, officials said.
It happened around 4:40 p.m. in the 4400 block of Cleveland Drive, according to Plano Fire Department officials. Fire officials said they shut off natural gas lines in the area. Atmos Energy and Oncor investigators were on the scene, as were members of the city’s hazardous devices unit, though officials said that is standard protocol.
The leak was isolated solely to the home where the explosion occurred, officials said, emphasizing that no other homes are in danger.
The home’s resident and two neighboring adults were taken to the Medical City Plano, while the three children were taken to Children’s Medical Center Plano.
Plano Fire Department Capt. Peggy Harrell told WFAA near the scene that some windows were knocked out on homes across the street from the explosion, and said some residents said they felt the explosion from a mile away, including staff at the Haggard Library.
Doorbell camera video from a neighbor directly across the street caught the moment the explosion happened.
“After that explosion happened, my walls were vibrating, everything in the house was vibrating,” he described. “It felt like my whole house had shifted over.”
Fire officials asked people to stay away from the scene.
Video from above the scene showed the lot where the home once stood covered with debris. Homes adjacent to the lot also appeared to have damage. The department is using drones to assess the damage.