Hartford, SD – A Hartford man died Monday from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning after using a portable generator, the Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday.

Dustin Patch, 38, was found dead in his detached garage in the 500 block of Crystal Drive just after 4 p.m., the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

Authorities believe Patch died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning while using a portable generator to run a sump pump in his home after recent power outages.

The sheriff’s office reminded residents to have working carbon monoxide detectors and to use portable generators in well-ventilated areas outside the home.