East Hampton, NY – The CVS in East Hampton was evacuated briefly last week due to a carbon monoxide leak, police said.

According to East Hampton Village Police, the call came in on Thursday, Jan. 3, at 8:27 a.m. from the CVS located on Pantigo Rd. after someone reported smelling fuel in the building.

Upon arrival, the East Hampton Fire Department chief detected a reading of 28 on the carbon monoxide meter; it appeared there was a problem with the gas heater on the roof of the building, police said.

The heating system was turned off, the store was evacuated, and East Hampton Fire Department personnel cleared the building of carbon monoxide with fans, police said.

The building was then checked by fire officials and deemed normal; no injuries were reported, police said.