MILLWOOD, Ky. — A charred mess is all that is left of a Grayson County home after a gas explosion Wednesday night. A mother and her daughter were both injured in the explosion.
Family members told WHAS the victims are Angela Young and her seven-year-old daughter, Johanna. They were both flown from the scene to UofL’s burn unit. According Angela Young’s son, A.J., Angela suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her body and is still at UofL. Johanna is now at Norton Children’s Hospital getting treatment for a cut to her head and a few burns.
Officials said a mechanical failure started the explosion.
Some of the debris was still burning early Thursday morning. According to Grayson County dispatch, additional fires were normal and expected and were later put out.
Drone video from Sky11 shows the remains of the house. Doors and window panes were scattered around the home and the main foundation of the home is charred and black.
Police have taped off the perimeter of the house as they continue to investigate.I
If you smell gas…
If you ever smell gas in your home, you should call the gas company right away – or you can call 911.
While you’re waiting for help to arrive, stay away from where you think the smell is coming from. If the smell is strong, leave your home immediately.
If you smell gas, do not smoke, light matches, or candles and do not mess with anything electric. Keep your lights on or off – whatever they were when you smelled the gas. Messing with anything electric could cause a spark.