Oak Bluffs, MA – An early morning propane explosion in Oak Bluffs sent one person to the hospital and damaged a home in the Camp Ground Monday morning.

The explosion happened at about 6:30 a.m. in a newly renovated Camp Ground home on Central avenue, according to Oak Bluffs fire chief John Rose. He said the blast is still under investigation, but happened shortly after a resident of the home set water to boil on the gas stove.

“It appears that it was initiated from that appliance,” Mr. Rose said.

The kitchen is located in the back of the house, and the force of the explosion blew out a window in the front of the house, Mr. Rose said. Nothing in the house caught fire.

The person sustained burns from the boiling water, Mr. Rose said, adding that the injuries were non-life threatening. Two other people were also in the home at the time and were awakened by the sound of the blast. Everyone was safely evacuated by the time first responders arrived.

Mr. Rose declined to give specifics on the ages and genders of the occupants of the home.

Oak Bluffs fire, EMS, and police all responded to the scene. The gas inspector and installer also responded, Mr. Rose said. Gas was shut off to the building.