Streamwood, IL- A contractor was injured Monday in an explosion caused by leaking gas in the basement of a townhouse in northwest suburban Streamwood.

Firefighters were called about 4 p.m. to a report of an explosion and blown out windows at a building on Shagbark Lane, Streamwood Fire Dept. Chief Chris Clark said in a statement.

The department showed up and quickly extinguished a fire, Clark said. No one was inside.

One person at the home, a heating and air conditioning contractor, was working on the outside of the building and injured by flying glass, Clark said. He was taken to St. Alexius Hospital in Hoffman Estates, where he was released later.

One unit of the three-unit townhouse sustained significant damage, estimated at $75,000, Clark said.

Investigators determined that a natural gas pipe in the basement had been damaged, possibly nicked by a saw, and filled the basement with gas, Clark said. The gas ignited and blew out several windows and doors of the building.

The leaking gas continued to burn and ignited the home, Clark said.

Firefighters from Bartlett, East Dundee, Hanover Park, Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg also responded to the scene.