Marion, IA — Five people were taken to the hospital to be checked out after a carbon monoxide leak was found in their home. First responders were called to 2390 27th Street in Marion just before 8:30 Tuesday morning and confirmed high levels of carbon monoxide in the home. Crews ventilated the home and Mid-American Energy determined the cause of the leak was a faulty boiler.
Firefighters say there were no working carbon monoxide detectors were found in the home. City leaders stress the incident serves as a reminder that carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It can cause headaches, nausea, fatigue and extreme exposure can lead to death.