New York, NY – Authorities say eight people were hospitalized when crews responded to the scene of a carbon monoxide emergency in Melrose Sunday.

Con Edison says it happened on Third Avenue at a storefront church that was using space heaters.

News 12 is told there was also a broken water heater in the building’s basement.

Fire officials say one person was treated at the scene and eight others were taken to New York City Health + Hospitals/Jacobi.

Con Edison says gas was shut down to the building as crews investigated.