Fairfield, CT — A Fairfield household was recently evacuated overnight due to “near deadly” levels of carbon monoxide, according to fire officials.

The incident occurred about 2 a.m. Thursday, when a carbon monoxide alarm went off in Greenfield Hill, according to a Facebook post from Fairfield Fire Fighters Association IAFF 1426. When firefighters arrived at the residence, they found high levels of carbon monoxide — over 90 parts per million — and evacuated two adults and two children. A smoldering wood-burning stove was found to be the cause of the elevated levels.

“The fire gasses were not hot enough to escape through the chimney and seeped into the home, causing the CO levels to rise to near deadly levels,” the post said.

An ambulance was called to evaluate the occupants and Southern Connecticut Gas was on-scene as well.

“The Fairfield firefighters IAFF Local 1426 would like to remind you of the importance of working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home in the proper locations,” the post said. “Thankfully, these occupants were alerted to the potentially deadly condition, yet had the detectors not been installed, the outcome may have been very different.”

Anyone with questions about how to properly install a carbon monoxide detector can call the fire marshal’s office at 203-254-4720.