Dennis, MA — A woman suffered life-threatening injuries when propane gas exploded after she turned on her kitchen stove in her Mayfair Road home early Saturday morning, authorities said.

“She had burns over a good portion of her body,” said Fire Chief Robert Brown  in a phone interview. Rescue workers called for a medical helicopter which was grounded due to the weather.

The injured woman was taken to Cape Cod Hospital. Her condition was not immediately available.

The cottage was extensively damaged in the 5:15 a.m. explosion, with one wall and one window blown out from the explosion, according to a department press release. According to the victim, she had just turned her stove on to cook and the explosion happened shortly afterward.