Lawrence, MA – A natural gas leak has forced the evacuation of homes Friday morning in Lawrence, Massachusetts, one of the communities hit last year by a string of gas explosions that killed at least one person.
Power has been cut to 1,900 homes in the city, about 30 miles north of Boston, due to the gas leak, National Grid spokesman John Lamontagne told CNN. About 80,000 people live in Lawrence.
Gas service also has been cut to homes. The gas leak has been traced to a line that was installed last year, though the leak’s cause wasn’t immediately known, Columbia Gas of Massachusetts President Mark Kempic said Friday morning.
No injuries, fires or explosions have been reported, Lawrence Fire Chief Brian Moriarty said.
About 146 meters are affected, Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera said. About 100 people are taking shelter at a school, he said, adding that none were impacted by last year’s natural gas blasts.
The Friday incident began around 3 a.m. ET, the Lawrence Police Department told CNN. National Grid got a request to cut power at 4:30 a.m. ET, Lamontagne said.
“We have crews on scene working with the Lawrence (Fire Department) working to evacuate residents and make area safe,” Columbia Gas spokeswoman Tracy Stefanowicz said early Friday.