Rockland, MA – In Rockland, Fire Chief Scott Duffey says a working carbon monoxide detector helped prevent an incident from becoming much worse.

Eight people were evacuated from a group home on Hingham Street Sunday after a call for a Carbon monoxide alarm.

National Grid and the Fire Department traced the source to a faulty exhaust on a gas dryer.

“It was fixed, but it just goes to prove that these Carbon monoxide detectors, they do save lives,” said Duffey. “If that went unnoticed and Carbon monoxide was in place, it could have built up and led to some illnesses or even worse, death.”

Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless.

He says this serves as a reminder for people to make sure they have working smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors near places where oil or gas is used, and 10 feet from bedrooms.

“You should check all your detectors at least monthly. Just go and press the test button,” said Duffey. “If you don’t have the 10-year sealed type, you should make sure that you’re changing the batteries twice a year, usually during Daylight Savings time.”

There were no injuries in the incident.