Wyandotte, MI – What Wyandotte police originally thought might have been two people overdosing on the docks turned out to be eight people getting seriously ill after carbon monoxide exposure.

The victims were discovered shortly after 9 p.m. Sept. 24 at Motor City Marina, 525 Biddle Ave., after police were sent there on a report of two possible overdose victims.

One of three officers sent on the call said he observed a large group of people lying on the walkway, with several of them vomiting in the Detroit River. Because of the number of victims, police called for additional rescue units to come to the scene.

Police assisted the remaining victims over to the medics for evaluation. Many of the victims complained of headaches, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting.

Once all the victims were cleared from the dock and walkway, police went back into the boat to search for any possible remaining victims. No one else was found.

Wyandotte firefighters determined that the carbon monoxide level in the boat was 87 parts per million. Firefighters said normal carbon monoxide levels should be 0 parts per million, and levels above 35 parts per million could begin to cause health issues.

One of the victims said they had been aboard the boat for about two hours, from 7 to 9 p.m., at which point several people began complaining of headaches and nausea.

It was around 9 p.m. when one of the victims passed out and 911 was notified.

Police report that the boat’s canvas sides were down when officers arrived, but the interior windows were open. However, officers said the airflow inside the boat was minimal.

The victims ranged in age from 22 to 32 years old.