New York, NY — One EMS member was hurt while evacuating a hotel by John F. Kennedy International Airport amid a carbon monoxide leak, according to the FDNY.
At around 9:53 a.m. fire officials said that everyone in the 9-story Crown Plaza Hotel, located at 138-10 135th Avenue by JFK airport was being evacuated, as carbon monoxide levels reached 100-200ppm throughout the whole building — a “dangerous” level according to safety experts.
One EMS member was hurt during the evacuation, and taken to Elmhurst Hospital around noon, said the FDNY. No other injuries have been reported as of now.
After searching for the source of the carbon monoxide leak for an hour and a half, Con Edison shut off the building’s power supply around 11:23 a.m., reported the FDNY.
At that point, at least three fire trucks, and the FDNY unit that deals with chemicals, were at the hotel trying to manage the leak.