Minot, ND – A couple was transferred to the Twin Cities and is undergoing treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning. It happened Sunday at their home in Minot.

Emergency responders found the two adults unconscious and breathing. They were rushed to Trinity Hospital before being flown to a Minneapolis facility. An investigator said that the source of the carbon monoxide buildup is believed to be a faulty heating appliance in the home’s basement.

Asst. Fire Chief Lonnie Sather says “Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, so installing detectors is the only way to monitor it. If you do have a detector and it sounds an alarm, evacuate the building immediately and call the fire department.”

Authorities recommend having carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home.

Carbon monoxide is formed by the incomplete combustion of fuel.