Cleveland, OH — The Cleveland Division of Fire is investigating what is being termed as a “carbon monoxide emergency” on the city’s east side that has claimed the life of one person and hospitalized three others.

According to a release, the incident took place at a house in the 10400 block of Pierpont. A 71-year-old man was pronounced dead, while a 59-year-old woman, a 43-year-old man and a 37-year-old man were all taken by Cleveland EMS to University Hospitals. There is no word yet on their conditions.

Fire officials say the matter remains under investigation, however they add that there was a propane heater in the house in a closed bedroom.

This is a developing story. Stay with 3News for more details as they become available.