Kansas City, KS – Several children and adults were taken to a hospital Wednesday morning because of a carbon monoxide leak at a Kansas City elementary school, fire officials said.

Fire crews responded around 9:30 a.m. to a medical emergency call at Longfellow Elementary School, said Assistant Chief Jimmy Walker of the Kansas City Fire Department. Crews measured carbon monoxide levels so high it maxed out some of their equipment.

Six children and two faculty members were taken to a hospital as a precautionary measure because they had low oxygen levels, Walker said. Officials expect that they’ll be OK, he said.

Several buses were brought in to evacuate students and faculty and take them to Manual Career and Technical Center. Parents were able to pick up their students from the technical school throughout the day.

A district spokeswoman did not immediately return The Star’s request for comment.

Kansas City Public Schools is considering closing Longfellow Elementary as early as next fall, under a proposed restructuring plan that includes the closure of 10 schools over the next several years. Central High School, as well as Troost and James elementary schools, also are recommended for closure next fall.

Consultants have recommended that the district shutter Longfellow because of its enrollment of less than 250 students, the poor building condition and more than $6.5 million in deferred maintenance costs.

The district is considering closing and consolidating the 10 schools, which officials say are in deteriorating condition and under-enrolled, in order to free up more funds to expand programs and improve academic offerings. The district is seeking community feedback on the proposal before the school board votes on a final plan as early as December.