Campbell County, WY – Just before 9 p.m. Thursday evening, the Campbell County Fire Department responded to a residence on Mountain View Drive for a report of gas odor in the basement, according to a Campbell County Fire Department press release.

When firefighters arrived, according to CCFD Fire Marshall Eric Action, they used atmospheric monitors, which are specialized-calibrated portable units, to detect elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the home.

Firefighters and Black Hills Energy crews determined the cause of the high levels was due to a malfunction in the home’s furnace. There were no injuries, and CCFD turned the scene over to Black Hills Energy.

The best way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install a store-bought carbon monoxide alarm, Acton said, because it’s hard to detect without one.

Known as the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can lead to sickness and even death.

“Carbon monoxide displaces oxygen,” Action said, noting that low levels of oxygen in the body can cause dizziness and nausea, and if high levels go undetected, death can occur. “If our cells don’t have enough oxygen, they don’t operate properly.”

Anything that burns fuel, like fireplaces and vehicles, produces carbon monoxide, he added, strongly encouraging residents to research the hazards and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and get a detector.

Both the National Safety Council and the Center for Disease Control provide information on carbon monoxide and poisoning.