Sioux City, IA – Authorities say a gas-powered power washer is to blame for elevated carbon monoxide readings at a Sioux City apartment late Tuesday night.

Shortly after 9 p.m. Tuesday Sioux City Fire Rescue was called to 75 W. Clifton Avenue in Sioux City to the Clifton Estate Apartments for a carbon monoxide alarm.

Authorities and crews from MidAmerican Energy vented out the three-floor apartment and basement of the building looking for the source of the elevated readings. Crews also changed out furnace filters in some of the apartments that showed higher levels of carbon monoxide.

Residents were not forced to evacuate from the building but were asked to leave their apartments during the nearly three-hours crews were on scene, with many staying at the first-floor main entrance.

Residents were given the all-clear to return shortly after midnight after Sioux City Fire Rescue said the carbon monoxide came from a gas-powered washer used earlier in the day to clean the underground garage for the building.