Emporia, KS – One downtown Emporia business was evacuated as Emporia Fire and Kansas Gas investigated a possible gas leak Friday morning.

The call to Emporia Pawn, 322 Commercial, was reported around 9:20 am. Emporia Fire Battalion Chief Eron Steinlage tells KVOE News the business was evacuated, but not for natural gas. Meters indicated carbon monoxide instead, possibly coming from a recently-installed furnace.

Neighboring businesses immediately south of Emporia Pawn were also checked. No injuries were reported.

The 300 block of Commercial north of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks was briefly closed to traffic during the early investigation.