Hartford, CT – A Hartford home was evacuated and three people sent to the hospital Friday because of a carbon monoxide leak, a fire official said.

Firefighters were called to 646 New Britain Ave. shortly after 10:30 a.m., Deputy Chief Alvaro Cucuta said. A furnace problem caused carbon monoxide levels to spike through the 2 1/2-story house, he said.

Eight people were affected; three were taken to the hospital as a precaution, Cucuta said.

Firefighters shut the furnace off and ventilated the home, he said.