Birmingham, MI – The Birmingham fire chief said a natural gas leak from an appliance service line caused a  house to explode May 25 in the 1300 block of Chapin Avenue near Woodward Avenue.

According to the woman, when she flipped on a light she felt a rush of air and realized there had been an explosionHolding her breath, she climbed out the window nearly without injury. Next to her house she saw a pile of brick, drywall and facade. The house managed to stay standing.

“She did sustain some minor injuries but she’s fine. Thankfully, she’s not in the hospital. It’s just a miracle she’s doing wonderful,” said Birmingham Fire Department Chief Paul Wells.

On Thursday, Wells said fire officials have determined the gas leak was coming from a service line to the laundry dryer. It was a small gas leak that led to a big explosion.