Roy, WA – The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office said two people are dead after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Roy.
Deputies said a 51-year-old man was found dead at a home Tuesday night around 9:30 p.m., along with his son’s 24-year-old girlfriend. The son, also 24 years old, was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
KIRO 7 spoke with the owner of that home, who did not want to speak on camera but told our crew that the son had passed away. KIRO 7 has not been able to confirm this with the sheriff’s department yet. Sergeant Darren Moss from the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said they, unfortunately, see accidents like this when temperatures drop.
“We do see people suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, or we go to homes for other issues, and then we discover that a generator is running in the home and we immediately tell them to turn it off, open the windows, put that thing outside. It’s not safe to have it indoors like that,” Moss said.
Deputies said they were running the generator because they were without power due to a fire that had happened there in May.
“You can’t run a generator or any kind of small engine inside of your home because it’s going to, one, be a hazard for the carbon monoxide but, two, it could be a fire hazard,” Moss said.
The official cause and manner of death will be released by the medical examiner.