Manchester, NH – Fire crews were dispatched to 978 Union St. on Saturday at 9:34 a.m. for a suspected carbon monoxide leak.

According to Manchester District Fire Chief Michael Gamache, the occupants of the four-family residence called 911 to indicate that their basement CO (carbon monoxide) alarm was sounding. They were advised to evacuate and await the arrival of the fire department. Crews arrived and discovered elevated levels of CO in both the basement and the first-floor living areas.The source was discovered to be the central heating/hot water appliance in the basement. Fire crews disabled the central heating appliance, ventilated the home to acceptable levels and advised the owner to have the central heating appliance serviced.

Several occupants were evaluated by EMS personnel, all refusing transport and treatment.

“Across the country over 400 people die annually due to accidental exposure to CO. I use this opportunity, with the cold weather soon approaching to all property owners to have their heating appliances serviced annually and to ensure that CO detectors are working and installed on every level of their home,” Gamache said.